change font dimension

A- A A+

change layout site

change the site contrast

screen reader

Automatic Recognition and European Degrees

In most countries clear progress is being made in facilitating the recognition of foreign credentials.

Individual governments in countries remain responsible though for their education systems, within the EU and in other countries. It is still necessary to pass through a national recognition procedure when going to another country with a foreign qualification to work or for further studying. 

A qualification awarded in one European system should normally be automatically recognised as equivalent in another European system.

There are instruments which facilitate the automatic recognition procedure such as Diploma Supplement (DS) and European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).

Within the EU and the European Universities Initiative a joint European degree is under development. This is an initiative from the European Commission.

Some qualifications, such as the International Baccalaureate, which is an internationally recognised secondary school diploma, may be recognised in many countries, but this is an individual decision in each country.


Professional recognition

There is the risk of confusing EU professional recognition procedures – which are established according to the Directive 2005/36/EC – with academic recognition procedures. 

Through Directive 2005/36/EC we have the opportunity to recognise a specific license to practice a regulated profession among EU countries, which is a different thing to an academic degree recognition procedure.

Further information:

Further information about the specific procedures system for ENIC-NARIC countries is available on each country page. Please click on "Countries of the Networks" and then on the name of the country, and contact the national information centre of that country for expert assistance.